This week I was reminded why I really love what I do, and also what I need to continue doing to grow my brand!
I got to see the birth of a new product created by a passionate, committed business owner who is totally uncomprising about her vision.
It got me thinking, why is that that this particular product/brand has me so excited? At Marketing Angels we work with start up businesses creating new products or services every day but it’s rare that one comes along that has us all so excited.
So here’s the 5 things I think you need to have to build an amazing brand.
1. Know what your higher purpose is. Everyone’s got to make a living. But you need to know what it is that gets you out of bed everyday that’s bigger than money. Once you can name that make sure everybody knows about it. Your customers, your staff, your friends, your family and the media. Make sure that everything you do is aligned with that purpose.
2. Know what it’s going to take to make your product stand out. Go look for that one flaw or missing element that all the other products in your category haven’t cracked. Then let nothing come between you and solving that problem. Then you know you’ve got something really special AND you have something to hang your hat on!
3. Do things properly! This may sound like a no brainer, but seriously, I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen business owners skimp on some of the most critical elements of presenting a succesful brand.
- Cheap shoddy packaging for a high-end product
- Poor photography
- Bad printing
- Cheap poorly constructed web sites with no thought gone into the content that’s never updated
- Bad marketing emails sent to people who’ve never subscribed to receive them.
Everyone’s got a small budget when they are starting out but you really need to think about where you skimp and where you invest. Your brand and how it’s presented when you first go to market it is critical. The furniture in the office, the expenisve CRM system vs basic spreashseet, using an intern instead of a full time employee is probably a better place to look for savings.
4. Know what you are good at – then get help with the other stuff. Usually as the founder you’re great at inspiring people with your passion, designing amazing products and getting them made. You might not excel at Marketing, Sales Distribution, Accounting and Cash Flow management. All things that help get a great brand off the ground.
Start learning about all those things (books, seminars, mentors etc), but also get help from experts to set you on the right path. That way you get to keep innovating and building your brand which is what founders should be doing.
5. Build a Tribe of believers – go seeking out others who believe in the same purpose you do and engage with them. Start a blog about your passion to spread the word, have an individual dialogue with your customers – whether it’s a visit, picking up the phone or getting on to Twitter. Ask them for feedback or opinion. Communicate as often, openly with as many people as you can in an authentic way about what you believe in.
I reckon if you can tick all of the boxes above you’ve got the hardest bit nailed.
Oh, and if you’re curious about what it was that got me so excited, check out www.lamav.com Australia’s first anti-ageing, certified organic skin care range. Founded by Tarj Mavi. Tarj has spent 4yrs finding sourcing natural organic ingredients that actually work to solve skincare problems usually resolved through chemically based products. If you’re passionate about safe products that don’t harm the environment join her tribe.